Support and advice

Supporting you is a vital part of what we do, whether it's helping to find you an interpreter or pointing you in the right diection for a social worker, we can be on hand to help you before, during and after your stay.

Interpreter services, including British Sign Language

We are committed to ensuring that all our women receive excellent communication throughout their journey with us, regardless of what language they speak.

Our interpreters are fluent in Mirpuri, Urdu, Punjabi, Bengali and Sylheti. For any other languages we look to use an external translator. If you think you may require a translator please let the department you are visiting know well in advance of your appointment so that one can be arranged.

Independent advocacy services

Should you need to access and speak with somebody from an independent advocacy service, you can take a look at the following organisations websites:

NHS Complaints Advocacy – NHS Complaints Advocacy supports you when you need to make a complaint about any National Health Service function.

Building Community Advocacy - Building Community Advocacy provides Independent Mental Capacity Advocacy and also has experience working with diverse populations and specialist groups including deaf and hard of hearing, BME, LGBT, older adults, child and adolescent, eating disorders, mother and baby units (mental health).

POhWER - POhWER provides Independent Mental Capacity Advocacy and Community Mental Health Advocacy.

Independent Advocacy - Independent Advocacy provide a wide range of specialist advocacy and related services across Warwickshire, Coventry, Solihull, and other areas, including Lincolnshire, and the South Coast.

Advocacy Matters – Advocacy Matters has been working with our children and young people to give them a voice as part of their ‘Hear Me Out’ project - they also offer a specialist advocacy service.

Complaints procedures

More than anything, we want what we do to be the very best that it can be for you and your family. If you are unhappy about any aspect of treatment or service you and your child has received from Birmingham Children's Hospital, we want to know. Visit our ‘how to make a complaint’ page to find out more. 

Social workers

If you are in need of a social worker or advice about social services, please visit the Birmingham City Council website.

Children’s social services

Adult social services

Benefits advice

If you require any advice on benefits we recommend talking to Contact a Family.

Contact a Family host a drop-in session in Main Outpatients on Thursdays between 9.30am and 12pm. They also do ward visits on the first Wednesday of every month between 1pm-4pm.

0121 4154624 

Freephone helpline 0808 808 3555

Spiritual support

Our Chaplaincy team offer spiritual support for our children, young people and families of all religious beliefs and those of no particular belief at all. The multi-faith team give religious and spiritual support to lots of our families and staff. This includes prayer, bringing activities to children on wards, giving advice or just offering a listening ear at a difficult time. To find out more about what they do please visit:


Healthwatch – Healthwatch is an independent organisation which aims to listen to and gather patients’ and families’ experiences of using local health and social care services – including hospitals. To find out more about their work, visit:    

General support and advice

We work with a number of organisations who can provide support and advice on a range of issues.

Our services

Vist our Fundraising website